I've been having trouble with my gears. I ride a ten year-old 21-speed mountain bike, and despite the fact that I have a brand-new drive train on it, my gears are acting up.
When I'm in my high gear at the front, I sometimes have a devil of a time finding the low gears in the back. And it's got me thinking: do I really need 21 gears?
Honestly, I never use most of them. I rarely leave my top gear of the three in the front, and only use a few of the seven in the rear. Sure, if I was cross-country riding across lots of mountains, some low gears would come in handy, but as a commuter and trail rider, most of them are wasted.
I figure that I only need about five gears:
- go like hell;
- medium cruising;
- cruising in traffic;
- little hill;
- big hill.
Give me those five gears, and I'll be happy.
Time for #EBookGifts 2025
11 months ago
Hey nice blog. Wish you well and keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteWhile your at it, visit my blog !!!
Plato the Lapdog vs the Illuminati
http://platothelapdog.blogspot.com
Hey John, about five gears...
ReplyDeleteI've got five gears on my three-wheel bike:
-hey, I can keep up to my friend!
-now I'm moving
-everyone's faster than me
-dammitt, a hill
-the hell with it, I'll push the bike up this one.
Last week I had a bike epiphany. I reached for sixth gear when I was zooming along. Woo-hoo! Now I need a new bike.